My Role: UI/UX Designer | Project Manager
LIT: Learn to Invest Today originated from the Fidelity Hackathon, a hackathon designed by DMZ and StarterHacks, and sponsored by Fidelity Investments.
LIT was the creation of two back-end developers, and business student and a UI/UX designer, working together to create an online platform that can support
new and established individuals towards knowledge in investing before they diversify their portfolio.
of millenials have financial savings
of millenials have no investments
of millenials who do not invest say they do not understand enough about investing to get started
"Young people do not know how to invest and are too overwhelmed to start"
Agile Management Process - Design Sprint
Our team focused on working with an agile project management framework in a Design Sprint fashion due to the finite amount of time,
we broke down the process into 4 steps.
Step One - Understand
- High-fidelity Wireframes
- Minimum of 1. interactive screen
- Pitch Deck
- Company Logo
- There are 7.3 million Canadian Millennials as of late 2019
- 1 in 4 Millenials can benefit from out platform: Total of 1.8 million potential customers
- Value Proposition: Free to use educational platform for beginner and experienced investors
- Revenue: Referral fee for every new client and ad revenue
- Channels: Mobile and web platform
- Cost Structure: User created content, in-house team of developers, Matrix-structure
- Key Partners: Fidelity Investments, other online brokerage companies
- Overload in content on investment websites
- Resources provided by Fidelity Investments were not up to date
- Overwhelming load of information on the internet
Step Two - Ideation
Our focus was during the ideation phase was to utilize our most proficient skills to prototype a working mobile application within the time frame with the use of:
- User Flow
- UI Foundations
- Low Fidelity Wireframes
- High Fidelity Wireframes
- Product Backlog
My task was to create the low fidelity and high fidelity wireframes in this project.
Step Three - Prototyping
Our team sought out to prototype the first iteration of our product with A/B Testing, having our cohorts test our product and gaining feedback.
Step Four - Sprint Review
Finally, we took the given feedback and completed one more iteration submission and it was time to pitch.
How does it work?
Our product, LIT: Learn to Invest Today, is an interactive platform for users to gain access to free user-created tutorials relating to investing. Duolingo, a language learning Website
influenced the design of our website.
- Freedom to personal level of proficiency; don't want to start with the basics? Skip to advanced!
- Simpler content and more interactive learning
- Interactive lessons
What's next for LIT
This is just the start of this beautiful idea. Investing has increased in popularity among younger generations, but too often do people refrain from investment due to fear of risk.
Our goal is to bring out a new more intuitive way of learning investing without the overload of content, this may be the end of our project - but not the last time we will be educating younger generations on investing early.
For more information, check it out on Figma!
© JiaJia Kong 2019 - 2020.