Google Design Challenge 2020
My Role: UI/UX Designer
UW Connect originated from the next round of applicants applying for the role of the Google User Experience Design Intern of Summer 2020.
The task was to create a presentation between two of the given prompts with Google Slides or a website.
"Your school wants to strengthen the community by encouraging experienced students to connect with new students and help them adjust to
campus life. Design an experience that allows mentors and mentees to discover each other. Consider the needs of both mentors and mentees,
including how someone may become a mentor and how to connect mentors to mentees."
User Surveys - Problem
of students had difficulty connecting with students in their first year
did not attend orientation
attended orientation and did not find it beneficial
find it more worthwhile to connect online with mentors
Survey available here
Mind Map and Brainstorming - Problem
Students entering school often:
- Struggle silently
- Fear judgement and weakness
- Ashamed and afraid of vulnerability
- Intimidated by discomfort
- Aren’t aware of the facilities/programs
- Have difficulty connecting
- Need help outside outside school
Competitive Analysis - School Peer Mentorship Programs
Why it doesn't work:
- Requires a lot of effort and commitment
- No freedom to choose mentors
- Selection is very restricted
- Gender and age may be a concern for certain individuals
- Every individual has a different interest/need for peer Mentorship
- Language barriers
- Students are afraid of opening up
- Not available on all campuses
- Too intimidated to sign up
- Long wait times
"I'd be too intimidated by them to want to sign up anyways"
Pre-Flow Setup - Solution
By creating a product backlog-like diagram, it will help me create a userflow which will set the foundation to my next few iterations.
Mobile dating apps such as Bumble and Tinder were inspired my designs and flow, the intuitive swipe design and minimal pages is the idea I was set to replicate.
I decided to create this mobile application focused for a specific demographic, therefore I focused on my school - University of Waterloo. The colours and designs are based on our website colours, and the style is relative to our school portals.
Challenges I Ran Into
I ran into multiple challenges using Figma's Smart Animate during the course of this project. There were plenty of amazing features that Figma has offered their users in order to create the most seamless and realistic
prototype available but was also very complicated. Some other challenges came to staying within the restrictions of my UI foundations - although consistency is very important, setting components in Figma create restrictions upon adjusting
certain shapes and designs.
What's next for UW Connect
- Mentors/mentees near you (Google Map Integration)
- Reviewing mentor/mentee option
- Additional incentive system
- Favourite option
- Event postings
- Integrate school schedule and availability
© JiaJia Kong 2019 - 2020.